Tuesday 9 July 2013

Examples of MP letters

I wanted to post these two fantastic examples of people using the email gadget to contact their MP. One is moving and personal but utterly non-confrontational. The other is short and sweet, showing you don't have to take more than a minute or two. I hope it inspires you to take part too.

Either go to this link to write your own letter : http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

Or here for a template letter : http://www.brianmoylan.info/spartacusaction.php

Dear <MP>

I am emailing you as I strongly believe that disabled people and their carers are suffering unfairly (and surely unintentionally?) under the changes to various subsistence and disability benefits made by this coalition Government. As a disabled person, I currently feel very vulnerable: all that stands between me and complete dependence on the benefit system is one person - my husband, who acts also as my carer - and It feels as if the benefits safety net is being unravelled from all sides.

I beg you to vote 'yes' on 10th July on the motion "That this House believes that the Government should publish a cumulative impact assessment of the changes made by this Government that affect disabled people (to be published by October 2013)."

We hear so often that the Government is satisfied that it is doing the best it can for disabled people and carers - if this is in fact the case, a cumulative impact assessment can only prove them right and calm the fears of voters like me and my family. If it is in fact a well-meant but mistaken belief, don't you think that would be worth finding out before further unintentional harm is done?

Yours sincerely,


Dear <MP>,

Can you confirm that you will be attending tomorrows debate reference
the changes the coalition have made to benefits that affect disabled
people, also to support the vote to demand a Cumulative Impact
Assessment by October 2013 at the latest. It is important that the
effects of the changes are shown and known and any necessary changes
are put into effect

Yours sincerely,


2 comments:

  1. I was a bit more colourful in my e-mail to my Labour MP including the following:

    It feels like we're attempting to emulate Ceauşescu society where disabled people were completely hidden and institutionalised by the state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reminds me more of 1930s Germany...

    ReplyDelete