Tuesday 4 October 2011

Lords fight against Time Limiting ESA

For the trawling-through-endless-clauses-subsets-and-amendments kind of genius, I'm really not your girl.

However, having just spent a miserable hour or two poring over the amendments tabled to the Welfare Reform Bill for today's committee stage, I believe that Time Limiting contributory ESA to one year is one of only two clauses that Lords are asking to be removed altogether.

Huge thanks to Lord Patel (Crossbench) Lord Crisp (Crossbench) and Baroness Lister of Burtersett (Labour) for calling for the clause (51) to be removed entirely from the bill, and I only hope there is broad support for the amendment.

For your information, here is a link from the Lords page on today's committee meeting. http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2011/october1/welfare-reform-bill-committee-stage/

7 comments:

  1. Sick and disabled would have greater protection if they have or get a cat ;¬))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hamster... unless someone's cat ate it. *runs off to check*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, let me see if i get this only 2 amendmants taken off all together, we should be happy with that, kinda makes me think it was a done deal a very very long time ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon 13.55 Sadly no, they are only propose amendments at the moment, haven't even been accepted.

    What I meant was whilst most call for slight modifications, the time limit one is a call for it to be removed from the bill entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second part of welfare reform debate is on now in the lords... it started at 2pm & can be watched from the start on parliament tv... not a member of twitter so can't tweet... it's very good... don't forget to watch & tweet links please...
    best wishes... nita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like many people I am scared to death of the affect these changes will have on my life. I worked with my condition until it got too bad. I aim to go back to work when able but this bill will cause me and my wife to loose our home of 15 years. It seems no one is covering this much in the media...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Press said in the end Lords backed off. Did the 12m time limit stay in or get taken out?

    ReplyDelete