Thursday, 27 November 2014

I Know My Trending Hashtags

I don't know much about tech - several of my friends will splutter at this understatement.

I also don't know much about social media, despite popular opinion.

But I do know about trending hashtags. I've used them to my advantage many, many times and have had many top trending tags, including one global one.

I've noticed the anti-leftie rapid response unit are claiming that #CameronMustGo has only trended for 5 days solidly because a small, dedicated group of lefties have been tweeting it non-stop, even creating multiple accounts to do so.

THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE.

It's true that a tag can initially trend with relatively few accounts, but the only way it can continue to trend is if new accounts tweet consistently. Volume does NOT create a trend, only unique users.

You might want to share this to counter the propaganda.

And if you doubt what I say is true, do you honestly think if hashtags could be faked so easily Amazon and Apple wouldn't be top trending every day? Or similarly, that the Labour Party wouldn't ensure that such a convenient tag was right up there too?

6 comments:

  1. You continue to surprise me. But I know my hashtags as well, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have probably seen the increased use of hashtags on your Facebook News Feed lately and wondered... why? This is something that has typically only been seen on other social networks like Twitter, used to denote trends. But on Facebook they can seem awkward and out of place. They are not clickable and they don't show you every post that includes that same hashtag.

    ReplyDelete